For years I struggled with trying to find time for myself…time that most moms refer to as “mommy time”. Yet, I couldn’t find any white space in my days for a long hot bath, a good long reading session or time to go photograph the beauty that lay outside my door. As a mom I found myself surrounded by laundry waiting to be folded, dinner needing to be made, diapers that required changing and these things never seemed to end. There was no time for “mommy time”.
After striving to squeeze in just a few minutes for myself and failing again and again over the years, I decided that “mommy time” just wasn’t meant for me. My plates were too full and I needed to just focus on the few short years of motherhood that everyone kept telling me would pass by quicker than I knew. So, I resolved that “mommy time” for me would just come after the few years of parenting children in my home.
As I’ve continued on in my motherhood journey this last year, I’ve come to realize something. I do have “mommy time”, it’s just a new kind of “mommy time”. Want to know a secret? You have the same “mommy time” each day that I do! <<– Share this fact!
Each day “mommy time” pops up all throughout our days. This new kind of “mommy time” is time we tend to get alone, without interruption from our children, our husband or anyone else for that matter. That’s exactly what we’re looking for in “mommy time” after all isn’t it? Time alone, uninterrupted?
- Grab a basket of laundry. Sit down and start folding the clothes.
- Fill the sink with water and soap. Begin washing the dishes.
- Pull the food out of the refrigerator. Make dinner for your family.
When we’re completing these tasks, 9 times out of 10 we’re alone…uninterrupted.
This is the new kind of “mommy time” that I’ve been speaking about.
As moms we keep talking about needing time for ourselves, time alone and uninterrupted. The truth is that this “mommy time” time is given to us throughout each of our days. While it may not be out of our homes or away from our children’s chatter, we have the ability to create an enjoyable atmosphere during this new kind of “mommy time”.
When washing the dishes, cleaning the house or cooking dinner try one of these tips…
- Pray for your family and loved ones
- Turn on your favorite music station and bob to some tunes
- Call a girlfriend to chat (phone headsets are a must for any mom!)
- Pop in an audio book from your local library and “read” the next book on your “must read” list
When folding laundry you can also enjoy your time by…
- Watching your favorite movie or TV show
Since realizing that I had access to many opportunities for “mommy time” throughout my days, I’ve come to enjoy each time I’m able to put my hands to my daily tasks. I don’t long for time away from my home anymore, because I truly love this new kind of “mommy time” that I’ve found. I’m able to do things that I enjoy while completing tasks that bless my husband, my children and even myself. It is such a wonderful feeling knowing that I’m blessing them while finding time for things that I enjoy too!
Don't miss out on these articles...
Latest posts by Misty Leask (see all)
- 10 Summer Lovin’ Date Ideas - July 4, 2016
- Hope for the Wife Whose Husband Enjoys Being Alone - June 6, 2016
- 4 Steps to Make Your Husband’s Day Special - April 4, 2016
- 5 Tips to Love Your Life as a Wife - March 7, 2016