When I was discussing this post with a friend she said, “I wish I knew what that even meant.” I knew right then that I must write this post!
Downtime… If you are like most typical homeschool families your days are full of scheduled events and functions. From practices to parties to co-ops and classes. Before you know it you are running on fumes and beyond exhausted. It is imperative that we allow ourselves time during our busy days to unwind and settle ourselves and our spirits. Downtime is different for everyone but I want to share some ideas with you on how you can fit some downtime into your schedule daily and not feel like you are wasting time.
Tips to add downtime to your day
- Quiet time with The Lord: I know that should be the first thing that we all think of when we think downtime but I can honestly say that it often isn’t my first go-to. When we take time out of our days to be with The Lord we allow Him to come in and move in our hearts, minds, and souls. It can bring about a new freshness to our days and help us to extend grace to our families and friends when we may feel we are running on empty. You can fit this time in when you first wake up, before you go to bed, or anytime in the day. Just find a quiet (or noisy!) spot and be with the Savior! There is no better downtime.
- Coffee with a friend: There is nothing better to help bring you back to the ground than a good conversation with your closest friend.
- Date night: This is my favorite. It could be because spending time with my husband is my favorite thing to do. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive or fancy. Date nights can be a movies you find on Netflix with a freshly popped bag of popcorn. Just enjoy time together.
- Road Trip: This does not have to be anything overnight. Just a quick drive to the next town over to change your scenery can be refreshing for you and your family.
- Take a walk: Just being outside in the splendor of nature may just be what you need to give you a boost!
- Pack a picnic: Doing something routine in a new location breaks the monotiny of everyday life. While you are enjoying your new lunch locale I suggest laying back and finding shapes in the clouds.
- Family Game Night: Doing something as a family is the best way to reconnect and is sure to help you feel more relaxed. Pull out the UNO and get the laughs going!
It is true! Downtime does not have to be at the beach or on an extended vacation. Just planning a few minutes of your day to do nothing but enjoy yourself could be all of the downtime that you need and exactly what you have been missing.
How do you fit downtime into your life?