Welcome back to our Back to School Survival Series! We are thrilled you are here.
It is that time again! Are you ready to get the fun going? Just wait til you see what great ideas I have for you!
I can’t believe summer break is winding down. It seems as if it just began! Even though there may be a few weeks left to enjoy the long, lazy days it’s never too early to start planning for the new school year. To help your kids (and yourself) get back into the daily grind, it’s important to make the first few weeks fun! I’ve compiled a few fun back to school activities to help make the transition exciting and memorable. Are you ready to get this school year going strong?
- Back to School Scavenger Hunt – This is probably my kids’ all time favorite activity! To introduce new vocabulary words and to get the kids familiar with our school set up, this was an exciting way to begin the first day of school!
- Back to School Portraits – It’s always fun to start the year off with an art assignment. Have your kids draw themselves and have them include a written bio.
- Math Self Portraits – For older kids, add a little math into a self-portrait!
- Math Munchies – This is the only time you can tell your kids to play with their food! Plan some math activities where food is the manipulative!
- Read “Pirates Go To School”. You can create your own pirates and then have your child write about what they’re excited about learning for the new school year. This is a great way to see what units you can plan for the year!
- Character Directed Drawing – There are so many directed drawing activities out there. I love to read a book to the kids and then do a directed drawing of the main character! Label the character’s character traits and you have combined reading and art!
- Science Experiments! These are fun for you to get your kids excited about starting school! Watermelon science is a great one to do for the first week back!
This post is part of the Back to Homeschool Series by The Multi Taskin’ Mom. It was written by my friend Christa.
Get to know Christa:
Christa is a former classroom teacher turned homeschooling mom of 3. She currently runs a cottage school out of her home two days a week and teaches at two different tutorials in her town. She and her family love theater and music and perform in local church and community theaters. When she’s not busy teaching, planning, and running kids around she’s often writing, reading, or enjoying an old movie.
This series brought to you by:
Don't miss out on these articles...
Latest posts by Stephanie Eidson (see all)
- Swan Facts Color and Copywork - July 20, 2018
- 15 Shark Themed Resources - July 19, 2018
- 6 Essential Oils That May Help With Anxiety - July 18, 2018
- August Planning Pack for Children Free for Limited Time - July 13, 2018