If someone were to ask me how homeschooling has effected us on a daily basis I would reply that homeschooling has become our lifestyle. We are constantly learning.
We are not bound to learning during specific hours or following a strict schedule determined by outside influences. Learning in our home doesn’t have limitations and as a result it has taken over our daily activities in the most wonderful way.
Homeschooling is a Lifestyle
The definition of lifestyle is: the way in which a person or group lives.
Homeschooling can envelop every area of your life if you allow it. I don’t mean that in a bad way. I mean that every opportunity you experience is a chance to learn something. With homeschooling you have the freedom to let learning take you anywhere. Wherever you are.
Everyday, when we wake up we are faced with new challenges, experiences and opportunities. Instead of allowing moments to pass us by we strive to continuously seize them to further our learning.
We do this by starting each day talking about new and interesting things. If someone is intrigued by something I don’t say, “we aren’t supposed to learn that until chapter 10” or “we will cover that in Grade 4”, we simply learn about it.
Following our interests has allowed us to deepen our understanding on topics that we are truly interested in and also things that benefit our daily life. Curiosity is a gift, one kids are born with, so you might as well embrace the questions. They will come whether you like it or not.
Embrace Learning during Daily Life Experiences
Regular life has spurred many questions leading to interesting discussions. Even breakfast can inspire the young mind. Where do eggs come from? What do chickens eat? How does a yolk react with heat? How does our body digest food into energy that our body can use? All that, just because I made scrambled eggs.
Education focused home
As homeschoolers we have arranged our whole life around education. Our living room is set up for reading countless books. Our dining room table is perfect for exploring our creativity. The sink is the home of various experiments.
Our vehicles are equipped with magnifying lenses and nets to explore the world around us. Everywhere we turn there is something that ties our lifestyle into education. For a peak inside of my home follow this link
Now comes the fun part! Establishing your own lifestyle. Every home is different and the same thing goes with every homeschool. What works in your home will be different than others. Get a feel for the rhythm of your home and how your kids learn and turn your findings into your families lifestyle. You can do it!
Lindsey is a Homeschooling Mom to four active kids in Alberta Canada. She is a crafting novice, planner addict, procrastinator and lover of naps! Her background is in Recreation Therapy which helps her combine education with engaging activities during their daily homeschool lessons. She loves helping other parents on their journey of parenting, home education and bringing literacy into their homes. She can be found at Side by Side Learning, Instagram, or on Facebook.
Join in on the fun of our Homeschooling is… series. Over 30 families share with you what homeschooling is for them and their families. We will have giveaways, freebies – tons of freebies, support, encouragement, and community!
Make sure that you enter some awesome giveaways from our sponsors!!
- **NEW** The Homeschool Garden Morningtime Plans – Enter to win either set! 1 Winner per book.
- **NEW** Learning Through Experience: Preschool Curriculum – Enter to win Learning Through Experience Curriculum: The Preschool Experience
- **NEW** How to Write the Perfect 5 Paragraph Essay eCourse – This course is perfect for both students who are struggling with writing AND students who love to write. I make it fun, easy to follow and comprehensive. Your student will come away from this course as a confident, capable writer.
- **NEW** Holiday Brick Challenge Giveaway – Teach your kids God’s Word while they play with Legos! Children read or listen to Bible passages and then build from their imagination and a pile of bricks using simple prompts to get started!
- Birch Court Books Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Birch Court Books! Homeschooling materials for children of various ages, how-to books for homeschooling parents, and a game just for fun.
- Practice Monkeys Giveaway – Enter to win 3 months worth of live Suzuki Violin Lessons from Practice Monkeys! Practice Monkeys is LIVE, online, Suzuki violin lessons at a low monthly price for the whole family.
- Wings to Soar Online Giveaway – Enter to win a Personalized Learning Online Package from Wings to Soar Online!
- Carole P Roman Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Carole P Roman!There is a vast array of diverse series of books ranges from pirates to space fight to princesses and our great world of culture and history.
- Dover Books Giveaway – Enter to win $100 worth of books from Dover!! Improve skills of reading and problem solving and make friends along the way in fun-filled settings.
- Parenting Made Practical Giveaway – Enter to with the Parenting Made Practical Book!