New homeschoolers often wonder about the cost of homeschooling. Many people are under the assumption that homeschooling is expensive! That can’t be further from the truth. With careful planning and budgeting homeschooling is cheap. There are resources available right in your own community, with which you can homeschool on any budget.
The truth is, homeschooling can be as expensive or as inexpensive as you make it. Sure, you can buy everything from lab equipment to specialty math programs, or you can also rely solely on your library card and countless free and inexpensive resources for your homeschool program.
If you know how to capture a learning moment, and model the requisite enthusiasm and interest in learning, your results will be the same: your children will learn! So why not be a responsible education consumer and enjoy the resources already at your fingertips?
Here are just a few of the great resources available right in your own backyard, or at most, a short drive from it:
Libraries and Book Sales
Your local library should be your first stop on the road to free and low cost learning opportunities that include, in addition to books, great music and film resources.
Go online and check out your county’s library system website to learn about the locations of area libraries. They usually always have upcoming events, and all their great online services.
If you don’t have internet access, the library also provides that at no cost. Most libraries also have their own used book stores now, where you can find great books for a song.
The library is also a great place to learn about what’s going on in the community – and all for the cost of a library card…which is free!
Instructional materials sales and giveaways: Often free or at greatly reduced prices, local schoolbook depositories typically dispose of surplus and outdated materials annually.
Used Bookstores and discount warehouses: Find your local used book store and open an account. Instead of cluttering your house with underused books, trade them in at the bookstore and get continuing credits towards new books.
And, of course, there’s an online treasure trove of discount booksellers, from ebay.com to Hamiltonbook.com.
Reuse Centers can be a little tricky to find, but they’re becoming more common and are a bargain hunters heaven, as well as a real treat for “green” shoppers who prefer to reuse items rather than buy new.
Look in your phone book or check with your local school board, or check out the Reuse Development Organization directory of partners nationwide. Freecyle is another great source of materials, all free.
Discounted admission to local museums are often available during off hours, or if you enter an hour or so before closing. There are a number of great local museums and historical sites that are always free or operate on small donations.
Ask at your local library for lists of museums and historical sites. Contact them to find out what great learning deals are available for you. You can also often get educator discounts to art and science museums, where a wealth of learning awaits.
State and local park offerings are a great deal. Many include interpretive programs in their entrance fees. You can visit many great recreational areas for a dollar or two per carload. Better yet, volunteer at one, and find additional enrichment opportunities that way.
My online freebie directory Homeschool Freesources list hundreds of free online resources to all arranged by subject and verified as quality resources. There are also facebook groups and whole websites devoted to curating the latest free homeschool printables.
Colleges and Youth Programs
Local colleges and universities often have lectures, programs and events that are free or very low cost and provide a wealth of learning opportunities. Many colleges also often offer free tutoring service, courtesy of undergraduate students.
Youth development programs , like 4H, Campfire Boys and Girls, Explorers and the up and coming Earth Scouts, can also help fill in gaps on a budget.
And don’t overlook the benefits of a good homeschool support group for group discounts on field trips and cooperative learning opportunities.
Holly is a homeschooling mom of three who would love to share her journey with you. You can find her at At Home With Holly where you can find homeschooling tips, resources, and encouragement. You can also find her at the 2018 Digital Homeschooling Convention as well as on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.
Join in on the fun of our Homeschooling is… series. Over 30 families share with you what homeschooling is for them and their families. We will have giveaways, freebies – tons of freebies, support, encouragement, and community!
Make sure that you enter some awesome giveaways from our sponsors!!
- **NEW** The Homeschool Garden Morningtime Plans – Enter to win either set! 1 Winner per book.
- **NEW** Learning Through Experience: Preschool Curriculum – Enter to win Learning Through Experience Curriculum: The Preschool Experience
- **NEW** How to Write the Perfect 5 Paragraph Essay eCourse – This course is perfect for both students who are struggling with writing AND students who love to write. I make it fun, easy to follow and comprehensive. Your student will come away from this course as a confident, capable writer.
- **NEW** Holiday Brick Challenge Giveaway – Teach your kids God’s Word while they play with Legos! Children read or listen to Bible passages and then build from their imagination and a pile of bricks using simple prompts to get started!
- Birch Court Books Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Birch Court Books! Homeschooling materials for children of various ages, how-to books for homeschooling parents, and a game just for fun.
- Practice Monkeys Giveaway – Enter to win 3 months worth of live Suzuki Violin Lessons from Practice Monkeys! Practice Monkeys is LIVE, online, Suzuki violin lessons at a low monthly price for the whole family.
- Wings to Soar Online Giveaway – Enter to win a Personalized Learning Online Package from Wings to Soar Online!
- Carole P Roman Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Carole P Roman!There is a vast array of diverse series of books ranges from pirates to space fight to princesses and our great world of culture and history.
- Dover Books Giveaway – Enter to win $100 worth of books from Dover!! Improve skills of reading and problem solving and make friends along the way in fun-filled settings.
- Parenting Made Practical Giveaway – Enter to with the Parenting Made Practical Book!