I’ve homeschooled for 27 years and thing that has remained consistent in the homeschooling community throughout that entire time is that homeschoolers get nervous when it’s time to think about homeschooling high school.
However, in today’s times, it’s easy (and fun) to homeschool during the high school years! So what makes it so great to homeschool high school?
First, you can customize the curriculum for your student.
The online world has exploded, and blended learning is genuinely the homeschool high schoolers secret weapon. Online education makes it easy for homeschoolers to pursue areas of interest and passions, adding a depth of knowledge that can’t be recreated in a public school setting. Your children will have time to read widely and then dive deeply into subjects that interest them.
We’ve known many homeschool high schoolers and graduates who have traveled extensively doing missions work in the country and internationally, in big cities and small villages, on medical and teaching and drama teams. This customized hands-on training is a valuable life experience, one that can’t be replicated in a classroom.
Also, if something isn’t working, you can change it. Not every student, or even every sibling, learns the same way. With homeschooling, we have the opportunity to teach the way our children learn best. Maybe you have a hands-on learner AND an online learner in your family. You can accommodate both of their needs by homeschooling high school.
Next, opportunities for electives have exploded.
On-line courses abound, both live and pre-recorded or self-paced. You can find OCW (Open Course Ware) from colleges and universities. YouTube and Ted Talks are also fantastic for high school students. The options are so numerous it’s hard to keep up with it all! At times electives can also be pursued at your local college or trade school. Learning opportunities are only limited by your ability to get out and pursue them.
(True North Homeschool Academy offers self-paced Culinary Arts, Gaming, 3-D Design, Forensic Science or Art & Design. You can check those out in our catalog.)
Technology allows foreign language and cultural studies to be up close and personal. For example, my daughter interacts weekly with her Hebrew language instructor. He is in Israel and we are in the upper north Midwest; worlds apart and yet uniquely connected. Fellow students will be traveling to Israel later
this year and plan to meet the Rabbi on their travels. The world just got smaller and more accessible!
Homeschooling during high school is growing in popularity, and with this growth comes more opportunity!
Today, there are camps that market specifically to the homeschooler. Some of these include TeenPact, Summit Ministries, Patrick Henry Camps and more. Don’t overlook local offerings! My kids have been heavily involved in Theater and Shakespeare for years, thanks to local enterprising moms with vision and talent.
And if you are worried about college credits and what’s beyond High School, take heart. Here, too, opportunities abound. Many states offer very inexpensive dual enrollment credits, many of which can be completed online. Post High School programs such as Apprentice University and Praxis offer kids fantastic life skills, job training, and opportunities for networking, all while allowing the kids to work while schooling and graduate debt free and skill rich.
Also, homeschool high school help is available right at your fingertips.
You can outsource classes that you are insecure about teaching, or that you simply don’t have time for. Furthermore, if your High Schooler is struggling, help is easy to find. Google is an excellent source of information, and if you are still struggling, you can find academic advising or consultation.
Online support groups also abound! For example, our group, Help Homeschooling High School is a great place to find wisdom and encouragement. We share curriculum, resources, great jokes, and support. You aren’t doing this alone!
More than anything else, homeschooling high school affords us more time with our kids before they launch into the world as independent young adults. Relationships built during this high school years are priceless! The days may be long, but the years are oh so short. Homeschooling High School allows us to enjoy that precious time with these amazing young people whom we love so much.
Lisa has graciously offered her ebook, The 5 Common Topics: Take Homeschooling from Common to Extraordinary!, for free for one week only. Be sure to download your copy today!
Lisa Nehring has homeschooled for over 25 years and believes that “Education is the transmission of culture.” She is committed to bringing a culture of Truth, beauty and goodness to fellow homeschoolers through her on-line program, True North Homeschool Academy, which provides live on-line and self-paced courses, testing, a K-12th Special Needs program, community , and more!
Lisa teaches, writes (her latest e-books are “Celebrate Sukkot!” and “The 5 Common Topics: Take your Homeschooling from Common to Extraordinary!”) and speaks on a wide-variety of topics focused primarily on the concept of intentional parenting and developing vision.
Join in on the fun of our Homeschooling is… series. Over 30 families share with you what homeschooling is for them and their families. We will have giveaways, freebies – tons of freebies, support, encouragement, and community!
Make sure that you enter some awesome giveaways from our sponsors!!
- **NEW** The Homeschool Garden Morningtime Plans – Enter to win either set! 1 Winner per book.
- **NEW** Learning Through Experience: Preschool Curriculum – Enter to win Learning Through Experience Curriculum: The Preschool Experience
- **NEW** How to Write the Perfect 5 Paragraph Essay eCourse – This course is perfect for both students who are struggling with writing AND students who love to write. I make it fun, easy to follow and comprehensive. Your student will come away from this course as a confident, capable writer.
- **NEW** Holiday Brick Challenge Giveaway – Teach your kids God’s Word while they play with Legos! Children read or listen to Bible passages and then build from their imagination and a pile of bricks using simple prompts to get started!
- Birch Court Books Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Birch Court Books! Homeschooling materials for children of various ages, how-to books for homeschooling parents, and a game just for fun.
- Practice Monkeys Giveaway – Enter to win 3 months worth of live Suzuki Violin Lessons from Practice Monkeys! Practice Monkeys is LIVE, online, Suzuki violin lessons at a low monthly price for the whole family.
- Wings to Soar Online Giveaway – Enter to win a Personalized Learning Online Package from Wings to Soar Online!
- Carole P Roman Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Carole P Roman!There is a vast array of diverse series of books ranges from pirates to space fight to princesses and our great world of culture and history.
- Dover Books Giveaway – Enter to win $100 worth of books from Dover!! Improve skills of reading and problem solving and make friends along the way in fun-filled settings.
- Parenting Made Practical Giveaway – Enter to with the Parenting Made Practical Book!