Did you know that homeschooling is good for you health? It might sound like a crazy claim, but hear me out. . .
We just started our eighth year in this crazy homeschooling journey, and over the years, I’ve realized a few unexpected perks to homeschooling, health being one of them.
As homeschoolers, we encounter far fewer germs than public school families. I’m not talking about just the cold and flu germs, but the dreaded lice as well. (excuse me while I scratch my head just thinking about it).
I’m not saying all germs are bad, in fact, I’m a firm believer in building immune systems through exposure. However, those flu germs, yeah . . . no thanks.
It’s a well-known fact that here in the States, school food is sub-par at best. Being a homeschool family means, in general, our children eat much healthier food.
Of course, that’s not to say that I don’t on occasion grab that .33 box of mac and cheese from the pantry and heat up some nuggets in the air fryer because, well, life.
More Time Outside
Being outside is so, so good for you. According to the Department of
Environmental Conservation, being outside improves focus, boosts your immune system, reduces stress, and lowers blood pressure.
As if those reasons weren’t enough, when the kids get outside regularly, they’re much more well behaved.
Get More Sleep
With no need to jump out of bed when it’s still dark outside, get dressed, and wait in the freezing weather to catch a bus, homeschoolers get more sleep. We have the freedom to go to bed
when we like, get good sleep, and wake up when our bodies are ready.
With adequate sleep comes improved memory, less stress, and a better attitude.
Yes, homeschool planning and managing day to day household/school activities can be stressful, but they don’t’ need to be. And really, if that’s the most stressful thing in your life, you’re doing alright.
This doesn’t just apply to us, but the kids too. That nasty old comparison bug and bullies are far less likely to be factors in a child’s life when they are homeschooled.
Stronger Family Relationships
Stronger family bonds are naturally going to form when homeschooling. With those bonds come increased confidence in being loved and accepted for who they are.
When your children are older, they’ll be able to identify healthy relationships versus damaging ones, which will save them loads of heartache as adults.
Creative Play, Unique Interests, and Alone Time
These three things go hand in hand for children. And unfortunately, public school kids can miss out on all three of them.
Being homeschooled allows for natural learning and development through creative and imaginative play. Homeschool children are able to pursue their unique interests without the pressure of having to do the same assignments as the other 30 kids in the class.
They’re also able to take some time to be alone when needed. Too often kids get overwhelmed and there’s no sanctuary for them to take refuge in. But homeschool children are able to hide away and take a break whenever they need.
This ability to separate themselves from whatever is going on really helps them manage their attitude and stress levels.
Habits, Behavior, and Skills
My oldest son graduated from our homeschool and is currently in his sophomore year of college. When we first dropped him off for his freshman year, I doubted the education and life skills he’d learned at home. I feared he would be “undersocialized”.
Classic mom guilt and doubt slowly crept into my heart and mind and by the time we returned home without him, I was certain I had him ruined him and he’d fail at life.
Thankfully that fear and doubt was quickly put to rest when he called me later that week. He was adjusting well to the new way of life and was surprised by the immaturity of the majority of the other students. They lacked the basic common sense and lifeskill abilities that he had already mastered.
Homeschooling is indeed good for your (and your children’s) health- mental, physical, and emotional.
Are you looking for ways to keep your family healthy and well-fed on a budget? Be sure to download the 38-page Feed Your Family Meal Plan,which is free for one week only!
Jeniffer is a homeschool mom of six who focuses on collecting memories instead of things. She stretches every penny, makes every moment count, and is never far from a good book and a cup of coffee. You’ll find her journey of frugal living and homeschooling her brood at Thou Shall Not Whine. Connect with her on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
Join in on the fun of our Homeschooling is… series. Over 30 families share with you what homeschooling is for them and their families. We will have giveaways, freebies – tons of freebies, support, encouragement, and community!
Make sure that you enter some awesome giveaways from our sponsors!!
- **NEW** The Homeschool Garden Morningtime Plans – Enter to win either set! 1 Winner per book.
- **NEW** Learning Through Experience: Preschool Curriculum – Enter to win Learning Through Experience Curriculum: The Preschool Experience
- **NEW** How to Write the Perfect 5 Paragraph Essay eCourse – This course is perfect for both students who are struggling with writing AND students who love to write. I make it fun, easy to follow and comprehensive. Your student will come away from this course as a confident, capable writer.
- **NEW** Holiday Brick Challenge Giveaway – Teach your kids God’s Word while they play with Legos! Children read or listen to Bible passages and then build from their imagination and a pile of bricks using simple prompts to get started!
- Birch Court Books Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Birch Court Books! Homeschooling materials for children of various ages, how-to books for homeschooling parents, and a game just for fun.
- Practice Monkeys Giveaway – Enter to win 3 months worth of live Suzuki Violin Lessons from Practice Monkeys! Practice Monkeys is LIVE, online, Suzuki violin lessons at a low monthly price for the whole family.
- Wings to Soar Online Giveaway – Enter to win a Personalized Learning Online Package from Wings to Soar Online!
- Carole P Roman Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Carole P Roman!There is a vast array of diverse series of books ranges from pirates to space fight to princesses and our great world of culture and history.
- Dover Books Giveaway – Enter to win $100 worth of books from Dover!! Improve skills of reading and problem solving and make friends along the way in fun-filled settings.
- Parenting Made Practical Giveaway – Enter to with the Parenting Made Practical Book!