Special needs families have a variety of challenges that are different from typical families. Most families enjoy extra curricular activities like sports and school events. It’s easy for them to make time for family by scheduling around or using these events to make family memories. A strong family bond is easily attainable for typical families. Special needs families don’t get that luxury.
Special needs parents are always on duty, 24/7/365. Attending to their child’s many needs is a full time job. On top of that, they have to take into account sensory, medical and social needs. Family time often gets pushed to the back burner because of various therapies, constant medical needs and the need to get some respite from being constantly on duty.
Homeschooling opens up a whole new realm of familial possibilities. You would think it would add to the stress with everything else. Believe or not, this is the furthest thing from the truth.
Homeschooling is the Best Choice for Special Needs Families
Homeschooling allows special needs parents to have more down time with their children. The pressure of therapy appointments after school hours plus homework is completely diminshed. This frees up the stress of trying to get everything done in a small amount if time. More importantly, this gives you time to grow as a family. Not having to plan your calendar around school hours will make family dinners easier, game nights plannable, and family outings can become a regular occurrence.
Here in Autismland, family time is sacred. It’s important, despite autism, that we grow and experience things as a cohesive unit. This cohesiveness makes the autism rising days seem manageable. Homeschooling has enabled us to eat our large family meal at lunch instead of dinner. This choice has enabled us to adopt a 2nd/3rd shift schedule around Dad’s work schedule. Homeschooling meant that we could go on outings together as family instead of not at all or with just one parent. We have been able to set lessons aside to work on family problems or to experience things as a family.
Sure, there are sacrifices to be made when homeschooling your child with autism. Let’s face it, there are sacrifices to be made by every parent, regardless of disability. Homeschooling is no different. When you put family as a priority, all the sacrifices will seem worth it. A strong family bond will produce benefits that are unattainable solo. It will take you out of survival mode into thriving mode. Homeschooling is the perfect choice for families with special needs to make that happen.
Don’t have a thriving family life at the moment? Need a Family Reboot? Use the 30 day Rebooting Family Challenge Workbook to get your family going in the right direction.
Join in on the fun of our Homeschooling is… series. Over 30 families share with you what homeschooling is for them and their families. We will have giveaways, freebies – tons of freebies, support, encouragement, and community!
Make sure that you enter some awesome giveaways from our sponsors!!
- **NEW** The Homeschool Garden Morningtime Plans – Enter to win either set! 1 Winner per book.
- **NEW** Learning Through Experience: Preschool Curriculum – Enter to win Learning Through Experience Curriculum: The Preschool Experience
- **NEW** How to Write the Perfect 5 Paragraph Essay eCourse – This course is perfect for both students who are struggling with writing AND students who love to write. I make it fun, easy to follow and comprehensive. Your student will come away from this course as a confident, capable writer.
- **NEW** Holiday Brick Challenge Giveaway – Teach your kids God’s Word while they play with Legos! Children read or listen to Bible passages and then build from their imagination and a pile of bricks using simple prompts to get started!
- Birch Court Books Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Birch Court Books! Homeschooling materials for children of various ages, how-to books for homeschooling parents, and a game just for fun.
- Practice Monkeys Giveaway – Enter to win 3 months worth of live Suzuki Violin Lessons from Practice Monkeys! Practice Monkeys is LIVE, online, Suzuki violin lessons at a low monthly price for the whole family.
- Wings to Soar Online Giveaway – Enter to win a Personalized Learning Online Package from Wings to Soar Online!
- Carole P Roman Giveaway – Enter to win a bundle of books from Carole P Roman!There is a vast array of diverse series of books ranges from pirates to space fight to princesses and our great world of culture and history.
- Dover Books Giveaway – Enter to win $100 worth of books from Dover!! Improve skills of reading and problem solving and make friends along the way in fun-filled settings.
- Parenting Made Practical Giveaway – Enter to with the Parenting Made Practical Book!